Autumn is my favourite time of year. I love Autumn for so many reasons but here are a few:
1. That smell! I don’t know what it is but as soon as September arrives there’s a different smell in the air! That crispness. That kind of mouldy smell. That stillness. I love it!
2. The colours – I live down a lane which looks as though it goes nowhere, and the trees form a tunnel. The colours of the leaves by mid-October are beautiful reds, yellows & browns & I love driving down that lane.
3. Blackberry picking is one of my favourite things to do in Autumn, though this year I’ve only managed one fruitful afternoon (with an added punnet-full from one of my lovely neighbours!) I made a blackberry & windfall apple crumble; blackberry with a hint of apple jam; and finally, my first attempt at blackberry vodka. I got the recipe for the vodka via one of my favourite blogs Rosalilium.com - It looks really lovely, but I have to resist it for at least 6 weeks!
4. We get very busy at Buggysnuggle and all the hard work of the previous few months seems worthwhile as stock starts flying out of the warehouse.
5. Time. Despite the fact it is our busy time of year, I seem to have marginally more time on my hands. I think because I don’t row in the evenings and my boys surf less late because of the lack of light, we seem to be home earlier & therefore I have a bit more evening time to do all the things I’ve been putting off all summer!
6. Now, you can call me a “pleb” (to use the word of the moment!) but with Autumn comes X-Factor, Downton & Strictly (my personal favourite!) and I love an evening hunkered down with a full TV schedule, a bottle of wine & a bar of chocolate!
What are your favourite things about autumn?